These are just a FEW books / ‘zines that have been good resources for us in times of struggle. Note: Although we were tempted to include works that have indirectly helped give us vocabulary and context to who we are as folks who struggle with mental health in a sick society (cf. Audre Lourde, Sherman Alexie, Chogyum Trungpa, bel hooks) we tried to stick to works that directly address mental health.
- Trauma Stewardship: An Everyday Guide to Caring for Self While Caring for Others, by
- Trauma and Recovery: The Aftermath of Violence – from Domestic Abuse to Political Terror, by Judith Lewis Herman
- Many Roads One Journey: Moving Beyond the 12 Steps , by Charlotte Davis Kasl
- Beyond Recovery: Nonduality and the 12 Steps, by Fred Davis
- Women Who Run with the Wolves: Myths and Stories of the Wild Woman Archetype, by Clarissa Pinkola Estes, Ph.D
- Live Through This: On Creativity and Self-Destruction, by Sabrina Chapadjiev
- Better Days: A Mental Health Recovery Workbook, by
- Codependent No More: How to Stop Controlling Others and Start Caring for Yourself, by Melody Beattie
- The Depression Cure: The 6-step Program to Beat Depression Without Drugs, by Stephen S. Ilardi
- When Things Fall Apart: Heart Advice for Difficult Times, by Pema Chodron
- Touched with Fire: Manic-depressive illness and the artistic temperament, by Kay Redfield Jamison
- Woman on the Edge of Time, by Marge Piercy
- Last Night I sang to the Monster, by Benjamin Alire Sáenz
- Brave New World, by Aldous Huxley
Doris Press Distro : Resource for all KINDS of ‘zines from Anorexia to Zoloft. Actually I don’t think they have one on Zoloft, but I bet they would publish yours if you make one. Is that how you spell Zoloft??
Five Wishes is a document that gives you a way to control how you are treated if you get seriously ill. Once it is filled out and properly signed, it is valid under the laws of most states.
- Here is a place to purchase 25 or more hardcopies of Five Wishes for $1 each: https://agingwithdignity.org/shop/product-details/five-wishes
- Here is a place to purchase 25 or more online versions of Five Wishes for $1 each: https://agingwithdignity.org/shop/product-details/five-wishes-online
- And here is a place to order 25 or more hardcopy kids versions of Five Wishes for $1 each: https://agingwithdignity.org/shop/product-details/pediatric-my-wishes